Mars Hill Discussion Board

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mars Hill Discussion Board

Discussion board for Mars Hill study group.

2 posters

Luke is not hot...

curtisray
    curtisray

Luke is not hot... Empty Luke is not hot...

Post  curtisray Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:20 pm

& he's not cold either! Rev 3.16 - after a discussion in class on being confident of our salvation, Steve Shock asked me how we could & even IF we could know if we were lukewarm, thus in danger of being 'spit out'. I'd like to save sharing my opinion til I've heard from other folks. Don't want to clog your brainwaves w/ my nonsense.
    JustinShipp
    JustinShipp

Luke is not hot... Empty How can we Know

Post  JustinShipp Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:04 am

Well for one the more we study God's word the more we understand what He expects from us. So its not very likely that we can know what to do or what not to do if we aren't in God's word regularly.

Second, it's never a good sign if our prayer life isn't very good. That's kind of like going in to work every day and never saying one word to our boss. Never checking in, saying hi, or shooting them an email. After a while my boss starts to wonder if I still work there when I neglect to do those things, and he is quick to tell me about it too. It seems it would be the same with God. How close of a relationship can you really have with someone when you NEVER speak to them.

So then if we aren't speaking with God regularly through prayer and listening to God speak to us through study there is a good chance that we are just going through the motions with our Christianity.

Lastly, I would say that you can always tell a Christian by the fruit that they bear. Whether its being a leader in the church, doing good in the community for others, or just setting a good example, "Every good tree bears good fruit". The flip side is this, "every tree that does not bear fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire" "So then we will know them by their fruits". Matt. 7:17-20

It seems as though we can know if we are on fire for God, lukewarm, or cold. The question is, can we be honest enough to ask ourselves what state we are in and then give ourselves an objective/truthful answer.

One of my problems is I have a tendency to compare myself to others. If I can see that I'm doing better than most, I get complacent instead of continuing to push myself. Instead I should be comparing myself to the gold standard of Jesus Christ. In that respect I always come up short.

If everyone would just compare themselves to Jesus we would have an entire body of Christ that would realize they could do better and then hopefully they would work towards being better. Then we wouldn't have ANY lukewarm Christians.

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 4:59 am